Sunday, July 10, 2011

Parisian Pet-en-l'air!

I just realized that I haven't posted pictures of the Parisian pet-en-l'air I wore on Friday of Under the Redcoat!

First, with the knitted pinball, of course :)

The Parisian Pet-en-l'air!

Parisian Pet-en-l'air Parisian Pet-en-l'air

I'd like to get a few more detail shots eventually. The cuffs have a round of pleated trim and then are shaped at the bottom with a covered button and a cord.

And a few before trim pictures.

Parisian Pet-en-l'air

Parisian Pet-en-l'air Parisian Pet-en-l'air

I used this pet-en-l'air from the Manchester Galleries as my inspiration. The fabric was bought in Paris in 2004. It's made over a fitted lining, using essentially the same techniques as the chocolate francaise. This doesn't have robings though, so I lined up the front edge to the lining and hemmed it.

I'm wearing it over a shift, 1770s stays, stockings, two linen under petticoats and my Burnley and Trowbridge shoes with William Booth Draper buckles. I had left my handkerchief at home, but fortunately had a length of silk gauze (that I wore in my hair with the Marie Antionette dress), which actually stayed better than the triangle pieces.

I did take pictures of making my black silk hat, though I claim no knowledge of how they made bonnets like this in the 18th century. The techniques I used are from 19th century bonnet patterns I've used. There will be a tutorial eventually :)

I didn't have the trim go all around the skirt--it's a slightly heavy cotton and I was worried it would disrupt the line of the pleats. The stomacher pins shut and the bows tie over it. This is different than the pet-en-l'air I copied; however, I wanted the bows to be more decorative and not have any gapping because the bows were sewn underneath. This happened with my Jacobean jacket, and I liked the effect there, but I didn't like the idea of it for this dress.

5 comments:

  1. That's a fun print on the fabric, and I love the sleeve trim. Looking forward to the hat tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful outfit! What a great choice in fabric. I can't wait to see how you made the hat, I like those kinds of 18c hats! ;)
    -Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It's so bright and fun and you look so happy wearing it :)

    I was looking and looking for the sleeve trim, then read that the pics were pre-trim, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable! Those red shoes look perfect for those colors! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. In yet another overdue comment (I have no idea why I'm so bad about this!) thanks very much! It was a fun dress to wear :)

    And please, feel free to use me as inspiration! It'll be fun to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete