Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A Regency Shortgown

DSC_0312

Even though the majority of my costuming wardrobe seems to be at the more formal end of things, my favorite historic clothes really are the more everyday variety. However, most events I go to don't really work for that, so when I was going to help with prep for Aubry's Regency weekend, I had to make something for it!

The result was a cotton shortgown with a wool petticoat, worn over a chemisette (from Patterns of Fashion, 1790s stays, a strapped petticoat, and chemise, and with a linen cap from the Kannik's Korner pattern, apron detailed here, and red mules from Burnely and Trowbridge.

DSC_0326 DSC_0323

The construction of the shortgown is described in detail here, so I won't go into the details here. The short version--it's cotton lined with linen with flaps that pin over the bust and a bib that pins shut, and worn over a bodiced petticoat.

DSC_0315 DSC_0319

When worn with the apron, the three buttons on the back waist of the shortgown held the apron up. I initially pinned it in front as well, but when I put the apron back on after pictures, left it unpinned and it stayed up nicely on its own.

DSC_0320

The buttons really worked to keep the apron from slipping. It was quite nice :)

DSC_0324 DSC_0327

It was extremely comfortable, and the perfect outfit for helping out in!

4 comments:

  1. It is a very nice outfit, and looks very elegant on you. I much prefer simple clothing like this. But yes, the majority of event seem to focus on the upper classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And events do, don't they? I do know people who live close to more lower class events, and I'm quite jealous of them! In a friendly way, of course :)

      Delete
  2. This combo is beautifully composed! The patterns and colors of all the pieces come together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I felt so lucky when I saw the cotton print and wool in my stash. I'm quite happy with how well they match!

    ReplyDelete